3.15.2013

goodbye, google reader

// hilarious yet accurate image via thewonderforest.com

yesterday, Google announced that it would be discontinuing it's reader service starting July 1st. wah, wah. I've been using reader for a few years now and I'm really sad to see it go. it made it so easy to follow all my blogs and tumblrs and keep everything in one spot ND connected to to gmail account. I'm not sure how this will affect users who follow using blogger or friend connect... hopefully followers won't just dissappear! it also makes me nervous... what other services will Google take the axe to? gah. but I suppose there's nothing I can do but find a new reader service. so what else is out there?



one option is hellocotton, though I haven't figured out how to import a reader list. they are big into supporting women bloggers, and feature posts from a variety of different categories daily so you can discover new favorites. hey look... one of my readers + blogs I follow, Yelle, is the personal post today!



bloglovin' is one of the services that hopped right on the opportunity created by the end of reader. in a few clicks you can import your entire google reader list. I signed up for an account and now you can follow my blog with bloglovin. they also have pages that list "top blogs" and "popular posts", though it seems to be mostly fashion/style blogs.


feedly is another option I've seen a lot of talk about. I haven't played around with it yet, but it's another service that can import your google reader list. it seems to be similar to reader, and less of a community-type site like hellocotton and bloglovin.

I'm not sure yet which service I'll be switching to, but at the very least I'm going to take this opportunity to clean out my reading list. [which inevitably results in finding new blogs to follow. oh well] this feels like buying a new car... have to test drive all the models before making an investment. what about you- do you use and love any of these readers? or is there something else out there I'm missing?

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh i was so annoyed yesterday when they said they were getting rid of it, I felt a little bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A25VgNZDQ08&feature=youtu.be
    Imported all my feeds in to Bloglovin yesterday but finding a few glitches with it (like you can't read/go to a blog if they have don't have unread content) and I can't download the plugin for Feedly on to my works computer...sooo....i guess the next few weeks will be spent trying them out and adjusting. Unless a new amazing one that is pretty much Google Reader comes along?! Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that video is incredible! I laughed so hard, thanks for sharing :) hopefully you find something that works for you/your computer.

      Delete
  2. i can't take it anymore. it's taken me forever to get used to the new blogger format. if it ain't broke don't fix it you know? and google - google reader ain't broke [yes i said ain't]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly. it works, wonderfully. it ain't broke, leave it be!

      Delete
  3. I was just going through my BlogLovin categorizing the blogs I follow (adding yours to my favorite category obviously :3) and then I saw this post of yours! Thanks for the little shout out! It made me smile so big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I could give you a smile! you're one of my most avid commenters and your blog is adorable, of COURSE when I saw your post on the homepage I had to share :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...